Trinity School |
Founded in 1709 and in its current location since 1893, Trinity School is the oldest continuously operating independent school in New York City. Trinity is nearing completion on an ambitious expansion project designed to create "facilities that facilitate" learning in the twenty-first century, enable conversation between teachers and students, and encourage engagement with the broader community. The centerpiece of the campus is a two-story, 65,000 SF addition constructed above the existing turf field. The addition provides much needed new classrooms, science labs, a performing arts center, and administrative offices. A new 21,600 SF turf field is to be constructed atop the addition. The New Addition is resplendent with light at all elevations. LEED Silver certification is pending. A 6,000 SF outdoor campus “Commons”, ideally situated in an area accessible to all divisions, will serve as a central gathering space for lower school play, outdoor learning, and social interaction. The Commons provides a source of natural light to classrooms located at the south side of the New Addition. The project includes targeted renovations of the Upper School (constructed in 1968), the Annex, and the Lower School. The Lower School and Annex Building are both designated New York City 19th Century Landmarks. A new three-story glass circulation / connection building - the Annex Link, will provide stair connections at all levels as well as horizontal connections between the historic buildings and the New Addition.